Wednesday, October 21, 2009

uneven surfaces


I finally got a shot of my favorite caution sign on my recent flight from Texas. I always say "wheee" when I pass this sign. Such a graceful fall/dance/leap. If only I could be that composed as I tumble.

I wrote about falling (among other things) in my essay recently published at The Collagist. A clumsy person, I'm often recovering from stumbles and untimely meetings with furniture. I feel just as clumsy in my writing--that I blunder into my next essay or paragraph--but these falls feel much more serendipitous than my physical ones. My writing feels more like this sign--uneven surfaces that I trip over sublimely.

3 comments:

  1. You should never ever "sit on (your) voice like (you) have to go pee really bad." And how come your cars have female names (Faith, Joy), instead of male names? Or are these names merely statements?--Of Hope? You certainly didn't stumble with your essay at The Collagist; I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a good explanation for why all my cars are female; the names just came to me. Thanks for reading the essay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there's something quite wonderful about falling into (or through) a piece of writing. And I think you manage that stumble with an excellent lot of grace.

    ReplyDelete