Wednesday, February 17, 2010

not another blog post about snow

It doesn't seem fair to say I commute to work. I drive twenty minutes into town, but there is no traffic to speak of, save for getting behind a car driving 50 mph on the highway. It's a beautiful drive through hills and farmland, even if the two-lane highway does cut largely into it.

But I'll say it anyway: On my commute to work on Monday, visibility was low, probably three quarters of a mile. I love fog and snow around the hills; they lend an air of mystery to them, as if I weren't familiar with every bend in the road between my house and town. Stranger still, I didn't have my wipers on despite the heavy snow conditions. The snow fell rapidly, but in fine pellets that blew around the car. I traveled in a clear bubble through the blurry weather.

Swimming laps today, I felt that bubble again. The water pressing on me muffled the stresses of the day, the week, even a year. My head cleared. I thought about how much I love my husband.

Happy belated Valentine’s, Jamey.

1 comment: